Friday, April 1, 2016

Let It Be Jesus

 
Zambia, Africa
My heart raced as I drove into the parking lot
I tucked the van under a nice shade tree while
I sat and simply breathed for a moment
I knew that the next few hours would bring answers
and I was afraid of what those answers would require
The crowd was thick today
I slowly crawled out of the van and
 took my kids by the hand. We walked through
the gate and onto the platform of the social welfare
office. The doors were open and only a few people were
 lined on the benches outside to speak to the officers.
One by one, each person was seen
after an hour and a half the only ones left were me
my children and one precious boy.
His back was a straight and his tiny feet crossed
He sat there so quiet waiting for his turn
A clear plastic bag sat next time him with what appeared
to be an extra pair of shorts and shirt.
I looked at that sweet baby's face and attempted
a smile on occasion. He never returned my efforts
My children and I were called into the office
I held tightly to the envelope that I had just picked up
I clung to it and prayed that perhaps I had read it wrong
I walked in and sat across the desk from the social welfare
officer who is currently over our case
I watched her face as she read the letter regarding our family
She looked at my children and then turned her
attention to me
With each word, I felt my heart sink more and more
She began explaining that this was a matching letter
That means the boys have been matched with our family
However, she will now begin preparing paperwork for a court date
This paperwork will potentially be ready when Derek arrives in a little
over 2 weeks. In court we will receive an effective date of notice
This means that our 3 months of fostering the children will
begin upon our court date. After the 3 month
period we will then have a few loose ends to tie up and that
should take maybe 3-5 more weeks
I looked around the room at my children standing
I could see their hearts and heads trying to understand all
that was being said. I watched their faces that earlier held
hope turn to faces filled with hurt and sadness over what
they were able to understand.
 I began asking if there was any way that our 2 and a half
months here already, would count towards anything.
It appears that as of today, that is not the case
Until we go to court, the time here has not and will not
count towards our 3 month required stay.
I left there feeling the weight of her words
The reality of all that had been said was far beyond
what my heart could process
I took the kids to get milkshakes and allow them to play
on the playground for a while.
I needed a few moments to just sit alone without questions
without anyone knowing all that had happened
I needed to let it be me and my Heavenly Father
I sat in that restaurant and mourned
no tears, just a deep ache in my heart
a knowing that this is not finished yet and truly has
in many ways yet to begin
Through all of my questions and hurt
the Lord has been reminding me that He is in the midst of us
I have sat for hours attempting to think
through what all this means for my family
my sweet older kiddos have struggled to understand
why things have to be so hard. Why this can't
be easier. Why we can't just go home and come
back for the boys another day. They are having to
wrestle with many of the questions that Derek and I are.
I know no answers
I only know Jesus
I can only point them to Him
Im aching for home
Yet, He knows my greater longing is for Him
Im longing for the safe and familiar
Yet He knows my greater longing is to walk the
unfamiliar roads if those lead to His feet
Im longing for rest
Yet, He knows I've always prayed to live a spent life
May I not be lost in the longings for tomorrow
May I find myself seeking His face in the midst of confusion
May He reach into the hearts of these sweet kiddos
and pour His love and truth throughout their inner most being
May they live their lives poured out for the sake of the Gospel
whatever the cost
May our lives shout of all He is to us
As we rise in the mornings,
as we lay our heads down at night
As we sit in office after office hearing news that
threatens to take our hope
As we play soccer in the yard with the village boys
As we offer a drink or food at the market
LET IT BE JESUS
that they see in us
LET IT BE JESUS
that fills the voids
LET IT BE JESUS
that sustains and carries us through


No comments:

Post a Comment